Part of the fun of working in the Children's Department of the Library is finding strange and silly tidbits of information!
Did you know that:
1. Ireland has no snakes because St. Patrick drove them all into the sea. (I did not personally witness this, however)!
2. St. Patrick's real name was MAEWYN SUCCAT.
3. The Chicago River is dyed green on St. Patrick's Day. (I have seen this with my own eyes).
4. If you don't wear green on St. Patrick's day, people can pinch you. (The painful truth).
5. General George Washington gave his soldiers the day off on March 17 in 1780 because so many of his soldiers were Irish.
6.There are more Irish signers of the Declaration of Independence than from any other country.
7. The name of the shamrock (3 leaf clover) comes from the old Irish word "seamrog."
8. A leprechaun is small, shy and very cranky, and stores his gold in a big pot at the end of a rainbow. (Again, I have not personally witnessed this).
9. There is a famous Irish purple dinosaur named BLARNEY. (Parents of preschoolers will understand this one).
10. A very famous Irish magician is named saint pat-TRICK. (I made this one up).
11. "KNOCK KNOCK!"
"I RISH YOU A HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY!"