Primary sources including speeches and eyewitness accounts of important historical events organized by timeline.
Biographical articles and references, searchable by name, profession, place of origin, gender, race/ethnicity, and birth and death dates.
- You can create a list of former and current female senators for your school report.
Live homework help from expert tutors, plus a writing lab and test center with practice tests for all grade levels in math, reading, and writing, including the SAT.
- You can brush up on your writing skills, with or without the help of an online tutor, with Brainfuse!
The Encyclopaedia Britannica enhanced with research tools, history highlights, and current news.
Access NPL's collection of CliffsNotes for homework help on literature, science, math, history, and much more.
- You can put a hold on the CliffsNotes you want through the Library's catalog with your NPL library card.
Over 35,000 complete college catalogs and home pages, plus a school match feature.
- You can search for colleges that match certain criteria to find that perfect school.
Maps, pictures, diagrams, and other resources for middle school and high school students and teachers.
- Access great printable handouts and visual aids to go with your curriculum.
Sample a tidbit of a book every day during the week by joining one of the DearReader Online Book Clubs. Dear Reader offers twelve different clubs, including fiction, nonfiction, audiobooks, and one especially for Teens.
Free driver education program contains the following state-specific information:10 car practice tests; 6 motorcycle practice tests; 1 CDL (Commercial Driver’s License) practice test ;3 online driver’s manuals (car, motorcycle, CDL) and An FAQ section with detailed answers to 100+ DMV-related questions.
Articles, maps, and special features from the Chicago History Museum, Newberry Library, and Northwestern University.
- The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 destroyed 18,000 structures in the city. However, within one year most visible evidence of the disaster was gone.
The full-text of many literature reference books can be found here including Drama for Students, Novels for Students, Poetry for Students, Shakespeare for Students, and Short Stories for Students.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library contains full-text entries from the Encyclopedia of World Biography, as well as many other reference resources.
A one-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology, and many general interest topics. Millions of full-text articles, many with images. Updated daily.
Quick reference resources, including Research Starters, timelines, and quizzes and games, designed for middle school students
You can learn about notable birthdays, holidays, and other days of note using the Event Planner feature.
Student-focused encyclopedia with news, science projects, games, and more.
- Get to know more about Egypt with a word search in the Lands and Peoples Game Zone.
Information about medicine, medications, wellness, and alternative therapies from full-text journals and reference sources.
- Find peer-reviewed journal articles on the latest developments in diabetes care.
Provides easy to understand articles on continents, countries, regions, states/provinces, cultures and current events for young students. Use Culture Cross to can compare the land, people, economy, history, or facts and figures of any two continents, countries, or states/provinces. It includes hundreds of interactive maps and games.
Use "Passport to Fun" to explore the lighter but sometimes more challenging side of countries, cultures, and current events. Passport to Fun is divided into three sections: Picture This; Game Zone; and Quiz Master.
LearningExpress Library features nearly 1,000 online tutorials, practice tests, and eBooks to help patrons of all ages. It offers job search and workplace skills improvement, skill building in reading, writing, math, and basic science, career certification and licensure exam prep, college and grad school entrance test prep, GED® test prep, and more.
Commentary and analysis of classic and contemporary works of literature.
- You can access full-text criticism of John Steinbeck, or almost any other author you choose!
Biographies, bibliographies, and literary criticism of authors from classical antiquity to the present.
- With Literature Resource Center, you can find articles and criticism for that Steinbeck paper.
Viewpoint essays, articles, statistics, primary documents, and other reference sources on social issues.
- You can read opinion essays about the big political and social issues of the day.
Experiments, diagrams, and other data on standard science subjects.
- You can browse the Science Resources to find an experiment for your Science Fair project.
Multimedia resources and tools for all ages, including a Biography Center, an Interactive Earth feature, science project resources, research guides, and citation help.
- World Book Info Finder research tools include Citation Builder, How to Do Research guides, and a personalized My Research account.