Checkout, Renewals & Returns
How many items may I borrow and how long can I keep them?
In general, there are no limits on the number of items that may be checked out by a patron. Please refer to the chart for more information on borrowing times and late fees for all borrowers.
Note: The loan period or number of items checked out may be reduced on a group of materials at the discretion of a supervising librarian due to seasonal demand or the inclusion of those materials as part of a class assignment.
What should I know about renewals?
- All items, with the exception of downloadable materials, LINKin items, Popular Picks and Interlibrary loan materials, may be renewed up to 10 times as long as there is no hold.
- LINKin items may be renewed one time.
- Items renew for the same length of time as the original checkout period.
- Renewals are effective from the date the item is renewed.
- Materials should be renewed before midnight of the due date to avoid fines. Materials renewed after the due date will incur a fine.
How do I renew items?
- Use the Library Catalog.
- Smartphone Catalog or the PDA/Mobile Catalog.
- TeleCirc – automated phone service at 630.961.0460
- Call or visit any Library location
What is a Vacation loan?
If you will be going out of town for an extended amount of time, ask a Check-Out staff member for a vacation loan. The normal loan period for any item may be doubled except for those with holds or on Interlibrary loan.
Where can I return items?
Return items to any Library location or drive-up return. Drive-up returns are available 24 hours a day, including holidays, at all three buildings.
*eReaders and Tablets must be returned to a Circulation staff member or a $5 fee will be charged. All accessories must be returned with the eReader/Tablet or a replacement charge will be assessed per missing item. See Policy 216 - Replacement Fee Schedule.
What is TeleCirc?
The Library’s Telephone Circulation System – or TeleCirc- is available 24 hours a day to help you access your account information. It also sends you telephone messages about overdue items or items placed on hold that are ready for pick up.
Use TeleCirc to:
- Renew items
- Find out what holds are available for pickup
- Learn if you have fines
- Hear a list of checked out items
How do I use it?
To call TeleCirc, have your library card number and PIN ready, then call 630.961.0460. You can renew items individually by entering each item’s barcode.
What if I’m not home when TeleCirc calls?
If you aren’t available, you may get a partial message on your answering machine. If that happens, you can call TeleCirc at 630.961.0460 to check on your account.