What Can I Donate?
We Welcome the Following Books and Media:
- Books in good condition, clean, dry and mold-free
- Audio books
- Commercially made VHS and DVDs
We Are Unable to Accept the Following Items:
- Anything that is unhealthy to handle, or dirty, moldy, smelly, burnt, chewed or wet.
- Reader's Digest condensed books
- Books without covers
- Foreign language books
- Magazines, catalogs, Bibles, board books
- Law case, statute, and regulation books
- Computer software and CD-ROMS
- Textbooks published more than 3 years ago
- Medical and psychology books published more than 3 years ago
- Business books published more than 3 years ago
- Computer books published more than 3 years ago
- Encyclopedias published more than 10 years ago
How Do I Make a Donation?
Donated books and media are accepted at the Nichols Library reception desk, Naper Boulevard Library circulation desk, and 95th Street Library information desk. All donations must be outright and unconditional. Upon request, staff will provide you with a dated receipt for tax purposes. Library staff cannot provide assistance in bringing donations into the library.
Where Do Book Donations Go?
Any material donated to the Library becomes the property of the Library and may be added to the collection according to the collection development policy (Policy 260 – Materials Selection). Items not added to the collection may be offered for sale or transferred to other institutions. All book sale proceeds are used to benefit Naperville Public Library.
Are Non-Monetary Donations Tax-Deductible?
Yes, your donation is tax deductible as a charitable contribution to the extent permitted by law. Upon request, staff will provide a dated receipt form for income tax purposes. Staff will not assign a value to the items donated. This must be determined by you based on IRS Guidelines.
If you have additional questions please contact the Naperville Public Library at 630.961.4100
- Nichols Circulation Information Desk Ext. 6322
- Naper Boulevard Circulation Information Desk Ext. 2212
- 95th Street Circulation Information Desk Ext. 4922/4921.