Can I renew the eBooks or other downloadable titles that I have checked out?
- Downloadable titles cannot be renewed. However, if there are no holds on your titles, you can always check them out again.
Is there a limit on how many downloadable titles I can check out?
- Yes, there is a limit of 15 titles at a time through our OverDrive catalog.
How long is my check out for?
- Your check out time defaults to 3 weeks, although you can choose a shorter time period.
Do I have to worry about late fees?
- You never have to worry about late fees. Your title should expire, once your loan period is over.
Can I return an eBook or eAudiobook early?
- Yes, in most cases you can. The way you return your title will depend on the software or app you are using, and on your device. However, you can also simply let your title expire.
Why are some titles not available for check out, even though I can see them in the OverDrive catalog?
- Most of the titles in our OverDrive catalog have 1 copy per user at any given time, due to copyright restrictions. If we purchase 3 copies of a downloadable title, then 3 users can check it out at the same time.
How do I know which devices work with OverDrive?
- Check out OverDrive's Device Resource Center.
I have checked out a downloadable item, but cannot see the Download button when viewing “My Items Out.” Instead, the message “This title is not available for download from our mobile site. Please login to your account at http://overdrive.naperville-lib.org on your computer to download this title. You may then transfer it to your supported mobile device” is displayed. What should I do?
- This happens when you are using our Mobile Catalog instead of our regular Catalog. You need to clear cookies from your browser. Here are some instructions for clearing cookies for both IE and Firefox.
- From Internet Explorer 8:
Go to Tools, Internet Options
Go to Browsing History and click on Delete
Make sure the Cookies selection is checked and click on Delete
- From Mozilla Firefox:
Go to Tools, Clear Private Data
Put a checkmark for Browsing History; Cache, Cookies, Authenticated
Clear Private Data Now
The Download button should become available once you go back to "My
I was able to open an Adobe eBook on my Sony Reader before, but now when I try to open it, Sony Reader shows a 'Protected Page' error message. What should I do?
- This is a known issue with some Sony Readers, wherein if borrowed eBooks in one format are used on the Reader, then a borrowed eBook in an alternate format is transferred to the same Sony Reader, eBooks in the most recently transferred format will function while eBooks in the first format will show the 'Protected Page' error. To use the desired format, transfer a title in that format again. All borrowed titles in this most recently transferred format will be usable.
I am having problems activating Adobe Digital Editions.
- Firewall, anti-virus, and proxy software can intercept the activation request from Digital Editions to the activation server. If you are receiving an error beginning with E_ADEPT_IO (such as 'E_ADEPT_IO ActivationService Info Error%20#2032') then your machine is not allowing the connection to the activation server at http://adeactivate.adobe.com/.
- To resolve this issue modify your firewall or other software to allow your machine to connect to the activation server at http://adeactivate.adobe.com/.
- In Windows XP, add Adobe Digital Editions to the firewall exceptions:
Choose Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
Select the Exceptions tab.
Click Add Program.
From the Add a Program menu, select Adobe Digital Editions.
Approve the dialogs that appear to complete the process.
I’m having trouble downloading books to my iPhone, any suggestions?
- Other iPhone users suggest using iTunes to transfer audiobooks to their phones.
Can I use an Apple Computer for downloading?