Get a Library Card
Who can get a Library card?
Library cards are issued to individuals who reside within incorporated Naperville and to nonresidents who own taxable property in the City of Naperville. Only one nonresident taxpayer card will be issued per taxable property.
Other types of cards:
- Special Services Cards for residents in need of homebound delivery service
- Cards from other Illinois Libraries (Reciprocal Borrowers)
- Unincorporated (Fee) Cards for those who live in unincorporated areas of Naperville.
- Nonresident Taxpayer Cards for nonresidents who own taxable property in the City of Naperville.
- Business Cards for any organizational entity, profit or nonprofit, that owns or rents property in the City of naperville.
How do I get a library card?
Naperville residents are welcome to apply online now.
You can also stop by any Library location with a current Illinois driver’s license or with a current picture ID and proof of residency, which may include one of any of the following:
- Checking account
- Telephone directory verification
- Current vehicle registration
- Mortgage/personal loan documents (not application)
- Rent receipt (within 60 days)
- Utility bill (within 60 days)
- Personal mail with postmark (within 60 days)
How often do I have to renew my card?
Resident cards are valid for 3 years and may be renewed in person with one form of identification showing name and Naperville address. Nonresident cards are valid for 1 year.
What if my card is misplaced, lost or stolen?
If your library card is damaged or lost, a replacement card will be issued when you provide one form of identification. There is a $2.00 replacement charge. The original library card will be invalidated.
If your card is lost or stolen, let us know immediately:
- In cases of unauthorized use of a lost or stolen card, the limit of liability is $50.
- You must document a stolen card claim which results in unauthorized use by filing a police report.
- There is no limit of liability in cases where the fraudulent use is by family members or members of the same household. Cardholder will be responsible for all costs and charges including charges for collection agency referral.